Importing iCloud Contacts to Google Contacts – Locking account

Home Forums Import mail and contacts into Gmail – help forum Importing iCloud Contacts to Google Contacts – Locking account

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Blanca 2 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jesse
    Participant

Every time I perform the task of importing my iCloud contacts into my Google contacts, by creating an app-specific password on my Apple ID to use with the import process, everything succeeds without an error but something in the process triggers my Apple ID to become locked out and requires that I change my password in order to unlock it, which has the side-effect of deleting all previously generated app-specific passwords in the process, meaning I can’t give “permanent” access to the ShuttleCloud importer for any future syncing needs – I have to generate a new app-specific password each time, which triggers the cycle once again. It’s very annoying to have to reset my password every single time for something that I’m purposely doing that seems innocuous. This happens literally every time I go through the import process, without fail.

I have been working with Apple support and have even had it escalated up to their higher-level engineers but have been told that I’d have to work with whoever the syncing process was being performed through, in order to see what may be triggering the account lockouts.

Blanca
    Keymaster

Hi Jesse,

I am Blanca from ShuttleCloud.

I am very sorry that you are hitting that error. I must be honest, my team has been trying to replicate the error you are getting and we are not able to do so, it is also the first time we hear about that specific issue.

While we further investigate, is there something that you consider out of the ordinary when you use Apple Mail? Such as a VPN for example?

Thank you in advance for your patience!

Best,
    Blanca.

Jesse
    Participant

Hi. No, there’s nothing unique about the way I’m connected when this happens. This has always happened, too; it’s happened every single time I attempt to do the syncing for the last 2 years.

Steps to duplicate it (from my perspective):

1. Log into contacts.google.com
    2. Select the drop-down menu labeled “More”
    3. Select “Import”
    4. Select “Other email provider” (since there’s no other option for Apple/iCloud)
    5. Open a new tab/window to navigate to appleid.apple.com and proceed with logging in
    6. Under the Security section, click Generate Password (to create an app-specific password for use with the sync)
    7. Change back to the Google Contacts tab and fill in the prompt with your iCloud email address and the app-specific password you just generated
    8. Click the “I Agree, Let’s Go” button
    9. Watch the process complete without any issues

I then begin receiving popups on my iOS and Mac devices, about needing to unlock my Apple ID. If I am still logged into the Apple ID site (in my other browser tab) I can still navigate but if I log out and attamept logging back in, I am unable to do so and am hit with a similar Unlock Required message.

Once I proceed with resetting my password, I can then access my account, however the process has a side-effect of deleting any previously created app-specific password, leading to the endless cycle of repeating all of these tasks each and every time I need to sync my contacts (because it can’t use the password for all future syncing).

Blanca
    Keymaster

Thanks for the information!

One question, how frequently are you migrating?

Jesse
    Participant

Given the current issues, once every 6 months, since it’s so cumbersome. If it were not causing all of these problems I’d probably do it every month.

Blanca
    Keymaster

Ok, thanks Jesse.

I have sent this to our engineering team so that they can determine if the issue is on our side and what we can do about it.

Thanks in advance for your patience. I will get back to you as soon as possible!

Best,
    Blanca.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.