Contacts from icloud won't import

Home Forums Import mail and contacts into Gmail – help forum Contacts from icloud won't import

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Blanca 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jill
    Participant

I am attempting to import my icloud contacts to Google and it won’t let me. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Andrea

Hi Jill,

Sorry for the trouble importing your contacts! Did you see any sort of error message? When you tried to import your contacts, did you get a security email in your iCloud account or on your iPhone, iPad, or computer?

Sara
    Participant

I have the same issue with icloud contacts & Google. My login ID for iCloud is my email address (sas0821@gmail.com). When I try to import into Google, I get error message saying that is a Google account, please enter the correct iCloud ID….Stuck in a loop just go round and round and can’t see any way around it. (I did generate an app-specific pw in Apple, but I can’t even get to the place where I can enter it!) Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sara

Andrea

Hi Sara,

You’re seeing the error because Gmail is only able to import information from iCloud email accounts.

However, you can still transfer your contacts using a backup file. First, use these instructions to save your iCloud contacts as a vCard file: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH3606

Then you can import the vCard file into your Gmail account:
    1. Go to the old version of Google Contacts.
    2. Click More and then Import.
    3. Click Choose File.
    4. Select your vCard file.
    5. Click Import.

Richard
    Participant

I also cannot seem to import Apple vCard files. Heck, I even tried to re-import a .csv export file created by Google.

I do NOT receive an error message. In fact, I get nothing at all. The imports stack upon one another in the left margin under My Contacts, but clicking on any one of those—again—does nothing. I’ve tried refreshing the screen. I’ve tried it in Google Chrome and Firefox.

Please help.

Blanca
    Participant

Hi Richard,

I am Blanca from Shuttlecloud. Im sorry to hear you are having trouble importing your Apple vCard contacts.

Please follow these steps to import from Apple mail and let me know if it works:

Step 1: Generate an app password
    Go to Appleid.apple.com.
    Sign in with your Apple ID and password.
    Verify your identity with two-factor authentication.
    Under “Security,” select Generate Passwords. If you don’t see Generate Passwords, enable two-factor authentication.
    Enter a label for the password, such as “Google Contacts Import.”
    Copy the app password.

Step 2: Import your contacts
    Go to Google Contacts.
    On the left, click More and then Import.
    Select the account you want to import from.
    Click I Agree, Let’s Go!
    Sign in to your email account.
    Enter the app password you generated.
    Click Agree.

Let me know if this works for you!

Best,
    Blanca.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.